Thursday, August 6, 2009

I meant to come to the discussion group last week, but somehow life just got in the way. Isn't that often the case?
I did have some thoughts on the reading, however. As I read the lesson and the scriptures I thought about the statement in D&C 121 verse 8 (i think) where it talks about enduring it well. i wondered what that might mean. Does enduring your trials well mean without complaint? Or does it mean that we continually look to God during these times? What constitutes "enduring well"? Any thoughts? While thinking on this I came across some notes I'd taken in a Women of the Scriptures institute class and the notes discussed the story of Hannah. Some of the points I had jotted down were the following:
* Hannah is without children (or at least sons) and is feeling-
- grieved in her heart
- bitterness of soul
- sorrowful in spirit - she had an abundance of complaints and griefs
* How did she handle her feelings?
- went to the temple
- prayed- poured out her soul
- vowed a vow (not a bargain) that she would give her son to God.
* Why don't we pray about our griefs/frustrations/irritations?
- we feel we need to have greater faith before we can ask
- we want something so badly and we're afraid the answer will be no
- we are upset and we don't feel we should be upset with God
**What we learn from Hannah is to pour out our griefs etc., but do it with respect. Have an openness with God. Know that we can pour out our souls and He will understand. Then have the faith that He has heard our sorrows and will do what is best for us. Once we have done these things put it in the Lord's hands and all will be well.

I was really taken with these notes and felt that in a way, they answered my question of "enduring well". We need not treat our Father in Heaven as a distant and unkind individual. If we believe what we teach, that we are Daughters (children) of our Heavenly Father and that He does love and know us individually then why would He not want us to come to Him with our sorrows? Wouldn't He want us to do the things He's asked of us, ie going to the temple, praying, attending our meetings etc, as well as talking to Him and really pouring out our souls to Him?

Thoughts anyone?

--Hopefully this post makes sense. I tend to write in a stream of consciousness and, on occasion, it comes out all jumbly. All apologies if that's the case.

1 comment:

  1. Julia, if you get this comment, I just read your post. I'm not sure why I decided to check this blog right now, especially because the Scripture group is no longer, but I really appreciate your thoughts, now 2 months after the fact. I wish sharing thoughts like this didn't seem like another thing on my plate (if that makes sense) because it would really be good for me.

    ReplyDelete