Friday, May 29, 2009

How do you read?

I enjoyed Scripture Group last night.

I liked that everyone who came did so with various levels of preparation--some had "read," some had "studied," and some had come just to come--it was great. We had some good discussion about the Degrees of Glory (Gospel Doctrine Lesson 20) and sharing of perspectives from sisters at our various "seasons" of life.

For a while, I have struggled to come up with a system of scripture study that works for me NOW...at my current stage of life. I know what worked for me growing up, while I was single, in college, before I had kids, etc...there are so many stages. And rather than get frustrated at where I'm NOT right now and compare myself to where I was at different points in my life, I want to be realistic about where I am and work from there.

I know that now, perhaps more than ever, I need the strength I can get from reading the scriptures. Yesterday, as I tried to read an entire Sunday School lesson in an afternoon while my kids were running circles around me, I realized that maybe my realistic study routine cannot involve long, in depth, and uninterrupted sessions. I enjoyed that on my mission, and perhaps some day I will again. For now, and thanks to last night's meeting, I'm feeling motivated to find my ideal (and simple) alternative.

Last night I asked some of the sisters what works for them. I liked the ideas that were shared...reading simplified versions, keeping scriptures handy where ever you find yourself during the day, just to name a couple. I would love to hear more ideas; if you've found a system that has worked for you or something that has inspired you in your scripture study, please leave a comment...or post something of your own. If you would like an invitation to contribute to the blog, email me at jodiecundick@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment